Thursday, November 18, 2010

Gonna Get Back To Sea And I'm Thankful For That


                       (Celebrity Century)


See the salty lady above? I will be climbing into her like an old lover on Monday afternoon.

Judy, the grandkids and I decided to spend Thanksgiving at sea this year. Not your traditional holiday, I know, but everyone is excited about it, so I guess it works.

We are driving down to Miami on Saturday night and will stay in a motel Sunday night and board her on Monday. Why you may ask? Because I fucking want to, that’s why.

That, and because the parking at the port is $20 a day and we will be gone 6 days. But if I stay at a motel for one night, I can leave my car there for the week free. Saving a fifty bucks works for me.

Anycruse, we will be heading down to Roatan, Honduras for a day of snorkeling and beach time, and then a day in Cozumel for an excursion on a pirate ship built like the one in Pirates of the Caribbean. All the deck hands and the Captain are in pirate garb. I look forward to the rapeing and pillaging on the Caribbean coast, too. The kids will get a special kick out of that, I’m sure.

I will be taking my laptop, but I’m not sure what kind of reception I’ll get, though the ship does have WIFI. We’ll see!

This is our first cruse in over 3 years. We use to take one every year, but got side tracked by being fucking poor the last few years. Not that we are any better off now, it’s just time we back into the salt air and gentle motion of a big assed ship.

I wish y’all could come with us. It would be a blast. But you can’t, so I’ll toast to y’all several times a day.

I’ll still be here until Saturday afternoon, so don’t get all teary eyed just yet.  K?

9 comments:

Weezer said...

Oh, I love cruises!! We did one about 3 or 4 years ago. Norwegian Cruise Lines. Left out of Charleston to Cozumel, Cayman, Key West. What a wonderful idea to spend Thanksgiving cruising the Caribbean. I'll have to remember that idea. Folks must read our blogs and think how great it is to older citizens....just take off whenever you want. When you get down in the area of Cozumel, turn toward Belize and wave. I just might see you and wave back.
Have a wonderful trip. We'll share photos when we both get back home.
Weezer

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip! We're taking a family cruise to Bermuda this summer. It will be our first.

CI-Roller Dude said...

Just think of all the passenger ship disasters:
1841 Sep 9, The Great Lakes steamer "Erie" sank off Silver Creek, NY., and 300 people died.
1847 Nov 21, Steamer "Phoenix" was lost on Lake Michigan. 200 people were killed.
1850 Mar 29, Ireland's SS Royal Adelaide sank in storm and 200 people died
1852 Aug 20, The steamer "Atlantic" collided on Lake Erie with the fishing boat Ogdensburg, and sank. An estimated 150-250 people were drowned
1854 Jan 5, The steamship San Francisco wrecked and 300 died
1854 Mar 1, The SS City of Glasgow left Liverpool harbor and was never seen again
1854 Apr 15, The immigrant steamer ship "Powchattan" (Powhattan) struck Brigantine Shoals and sank off Long Beach, NY. Over 300 people died.
1854 Sep 27, The first great disaster involving an ocean liner in the Atlantic occurred when the steamship Arctic sank off the coast of Newfoundland with 300 people aboard. It had collided in heavy fog with the French ship Vesta.
1855 Jan 9, The clipper ship Guiding Star disappeared in Atlantic and 480 died
1859 Apr 27, "Pomona" sank in North Atlantic drowning all 400 aboard

Need I go on?
Be safe, wear a condom.

Miss Em said...

Stopped by to see what you be
a-doin. Jeeeeesh! I'm so
jell-o-us. Here I am stuck with paint brushes, hammers and nails and YOU will get to just float around.

Guess I painting the inside of the house the right color...Green [with envy].

Miss Em

Lickety Splitter said...

Hey now, why didn't I think of that cruise plan? Instead of hanging around here next week cooking a mandarin orange cake, pecan pies, mashed potatoes, deviled eggs and peas?

Have fun! And, think of poor poor us.

Coffeypot said...

Wheezer, I have been to Belize on a cruse before, and I will give you a wave.

SW, where are you sailing out of and are you driving down? Will you be coming through Atlanta? Would love to treat y'all to lunch, dinner, a cup-o-coffee if you do.

Dude, I get it. You don't like any water deeper than a bathtub. But you are missing out on a great experience. And all the references you gave me are in the North Atlantic or the Great Lakes. I will be 180 out from them in the Caribbean.

Miss Em, I know your place will be awesome when you get through tinkering and hammering and painting and stuff.

And all of y’all have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.

gayle said...

I love cruises! We sailed with Carinval 3 times!! I would love to go next Thansgiving....it would be so much fun! We sure to let us know Everything:)

Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend!
~AM

Mike Golch said...

I hope you have a great cruise.