Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Red Dot Explained

 

For centuries, Hindu women have worn a dot on their foreheads. This is called a ‘Bindi’. It is not to be confused with the Crocodile Hunter’s daughter, Bindi.

However, most of us have naively thought this was connected with tradition or religion, but the Indian Embassy in Ottawa has recently revealed the true story.

When a Hindu woman gets married, she brings a dowry into the union. On her wedding night, the husband scratches off the dot to see whether he has won a convenience store, a gas station, a donut shop, a taxi cab or a motel. If nothing is there, then he must remain in India to answer telephones and provide us with technical advice.

This is another service announcement brought to you by me in order to keep you informed and educated. It is part of my ongoing attempt to educate the world.

You’re welcome.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Burfica said...

so if I get a 6 pack of them, could I win a million dollars in the lottery????

chesneygirl said...

I learn SO much from your blog! :)

Coffeypot said...

Buffica, if you do win the lottery will you marry me?

chesneygirl, my aim is to educate - with a little smile thown in.

Coffeypot said...

Speaking of educate - that should have been thrown in - not thown in. I'm even learning myself.

SuvvyGirl said...

Haha...I think that's the funniest explenation of those I've heard so far!!

Pamela said...

snort... you are one crazy dot scratcher, you are!!

Cap'n Ergo "XL+II" Jinglebollocks said...

rats! If i knew this years ago I woulda attempted to be more attracted to Indian wimmin!!

you krakk me upp, U know that??

Cant Hardly Wait said...

Id know nothing if I didn't read your blog.

e.Craig Crawford said...

That's such an interesting social custom .. Thanks for the info. It explains a few things.

Biddie said...

OMG, you are so NOT pc! Lol!
I always thought that it was a push start of some sort...

Trukindog said...

Wow! There must be an awful lot of blank spots under them dots.