Sunday, February 07, 2010

I'm Home - For Now


I’m home…finally. But I have to go back next Thursday. The things I do for family. Anybody want a family? I’ve got one you can have…I’ll pay you to take’em.

This morning the sun was shining, but it was cold. I went out to the van to crank it up to let it run to defrost the windows, which had a foot of snow from the roof to the front bumper. To get to the door I had to walk in snow up to my knees - in sneakers.

I don’t know what possessed me to do it because I have never done it before when traveling in snowy weather. But I brought alone my window scraper with a brush on one side and the scraper on the other. There is no explaining brilliance.

I also had to shovel the three foot pile of snow in front of the van so that I could get out. I don’t shovel. I’m a stud, not a laborer. So I got it down to a foot high and drove over the damn thing.

The road heading over to I-81 was pack snow and some ice. Not too slippery. But I-81 was in great shape. The DOT had worked all night to get the highways cleared. And there was no traffic.

But on the way back I had to make a side trip to pick up a surgical light Dr. Amber bought online. So I pulled off I-77 into the Yadkin Gap in North Carolina. I followed the Yadkin River for a long way and was in some very beautiful country. Some snow on the ground, but still mountain valley beautiful.

But the important thing is, I’m home, the Saints just won the Super Bowl, and Judy and I are headed out to the Waffle House for a late dinner.

Thanks for all the well wishes, guys. It is comforting. And thank you to Travelodge for having free WiFi, too. Kept me from going nuttier than I already am.

9 comments:

gayle said...

Glad you are home safe and sorta sound!! :)

Coffeypot said...

Me, too. But I have to go back next week. Way too soon. But thank you.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Just had to come back to see if you made it home okay...and you did. And you don't sound like you're ready to kill anyone...so that's a good sign. Glad you made it home safely John...So, you're going out there again, huh? Only family will do that to 'ya. ~Joy

Southern (in)Sanity said...

Glad you made it home safely. I wouldn't want to shovel all of that snow, either.

Golden To Silver Val said...

Glad you're home safe and sound. Hopefully when you go back out next time you won't have to battle all the white stuff.
As to your question on my post: I'm taking the Fifth.

Liz Mays said...

So glad you made it back home safely!

Tracie said...

I'm glad you made it home safely.

And, no, I don't want your family. I don't even want mine most days. :)

Paxford said...

Waffle House reward sounds a good thing! :)

Pax

Miss Em said...

Coffeypot,

Hi!!!!
It's your favorite "Lurker". Back again. ;)

GLAD YOU MADE IT BACK without becoming a "Coffeypot-icicle" waiting from the spring thaw.

???? Did you NOT put a couple of trash bags over those ten-nees to keep the snow from getting inside of the them which, of course, would prevent "Wet Feet"...just let you have cold ones.???? ;)

You should ALWAYS have in the vehicle an emergency Winter "Diddy-bag" when you are headed North especially when there's a snow prediction.

E-mail me if you want a list of what should go in the bag. Learned that when living in Denver and Colorado Springs..y e a r s..ago.

Miss Em
Austell, Ga.