Saturday, March 15, 2008

Irish Blessing to You

Monday is St. Patrick’s Day. Wearing of the green, green beer, shamrocks and Celtic music will dominate the day. For us in America it’s a fun day. But it also it can be a time for reflection and wishes, especially those of us with Irish heritage. Mine started in 1804 with the landing of Edwin Bowman, who was my Great to the umpteen Grandfather on my mother’s side. She was Ola Lois Bowman. My sir name is also Irish, but my father was adopted. His birth name was either Zimmerman or Shell, depending on which story the family gives. So I am within my right to pass on an Irish Blessing to you folks, which is presented below. Enjoy!


Also, I cannot let the time go by without telling you another touching Irish story.

An Irish daughter had not been home for over 5 years. Upon her return, her father cussed her. "Where have ye been all this time? Why did ya not write to us, not even a line? Why didn't ya call? Can ye not understand what ya put yar pur old mum thru?

The girl, crying, replied, "Sniff, sniff....dad....I became a prostitute..."

"Ya what!!? Out with ya, ya shameless harlot! Sinner! You're a disgrace to this family."

"OK, dad-- as ya wish. I just came back to give mum this luxurious fur coat, title deed to a ten bedroom mansion plus a savings certificate for $5 million. For me little brother this gold Rolex and for ya daddy the sparkling new Mercedes limited edition convertible that's parked outside plus a membership to the country club.... (takes a breath)....and an invitation for ya all to spend New Years Eve on board me new yacht in the Riviera and..."

"Now what was it ya said ya had becum?" says dad.

The girl, crying again, "Sniff, sniff....a prostitute dad…. sniff, sniff."

"Oh! Be Jesus, Mary and Joseph! -- Ya scared me half to death, girl! I thought ya said 'a Protestant'. Come here and give yar old man a hug!"

9 comments:

Burfica said...

I love love love the blessing, and the irish story was so dam funny.

Happy St. Patty's day to you Coffey.

Southern (in)Sanity said...

Great story ... and tribute to St. Patrick's Day.

My background is a mixture of Scottish and Irish.

katy said...

Happy Paddy's Day for tomorrow. Ireland is a beautiful Country.
LOL loved the story!

Cooper Green said...

It's the Irish in me that makes me want to write. It's also what makes me full of shit. Happy St. Pat's Day, partly Irish person, and thanks for the blessing.

Jodi said...

I love the story. I know some dads who would feel like that.

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, too. If you're not wearing green, I can pinch you.......

J.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

LOL! :-D Very funny protestant joke. Or, is it a Catholic joke?

e.Craig Crawford said...

great video and story. and an irish blessing back to you.

Teri said...

The Irish would throw me out of the country if they knew I was descended from an Irishman but am a Protestant and not a Catholic. Oh the shame of it all.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I finally got to watch that Irish blessing--several times--very nice.